Tuesday 28 September 2010

Girls' Night

I have to admit I’ve not always been a fan of ‘girls’ nights.’ Not having many female friends was the initial problem. But then my reluctance increased when I objectively witnessed these evenings.
It seemed to me that a successful girls’ night involved competing to wear the hottest dress, constantly reapplying make-up in the toilets, taking hundreds of posed photographs, arguing over boys or enduring some kind of man related drama – an ex getting in touch, a prospective boyfriend getting with someone else.
It seemed that the night was branded unsuccessful unless someone ended up in tears. I used to find female company challenging enough without the addition of alcohol and men – the two certain tools to aid bitchiness.
But then I met some amazing girls, and nights out suddenly became fun. Some of the best were with my bestie Natalie – crotch grabbing, blow job motioning and inventive stories about our sexual orientation all contributed to hours of pure fun.

Last week I went out with two female friends and from start to finish the night was amazing. We began with the standard getting ready procedure but added apple schnapps shots and rose into the mix and before long we were talking and laughing about everything.
When we made it to the club we headed for the bar and then didn’t stop dancing all night. Even with the pinch of male drama – certain exes turning up unannounced – it didn’t prevent us from staying at the club till closing.


And it occurred to me, that a girls’ night gone bad involves all the crying/bitchiness/general lack of fun I’d both witnessed and experienced in the past. But, a girls night at best is the perfect reminder of sisterhood. And, even though the drunken photos are HORRIFIC, you look back and smile.


1 comment:

  1. Oh my fackin' god. Too right the drunken photos are horrific. What is wrong with my face?! I do miss you, Woodward. Even though you just posted a VILE picture of me on t'internet.

    ReplyDelete